Few days back, Blackberry INC made an update to the BBM application. I just got a chance to test the application a while ago and I’d like to state out the new features i noticed.
Even before now, I have always preferred BBM than whatsapp and any other messaging app. Not just because of its simplicity, I love the privacy aspect of it. On BBM, no one knows whether or not I am online unless I update Display Picture(DP) or Display Message(DM or status). I know on whatsapp, there’s a way to hide your timestamp from displaying when last you were online but it deprives you from seeing your contacts timestamp which doesn’t seem cool to me.
With the update made to BBM, BBM app still remains the best messaging application. Until when another app surpasses BBM, BBM still rocks my chatting life lol.
Features of The Updated BBM Version 10.5.3.28
You may want to pay no attention to the version numbers, I am just going according to what was displayed on the blackberry world when I was about updating. If you use an android, iPhone or BB10 phone, you should have got a notification to update your bbm i.e if you haven’t done so earlier.
Here are the basic new features that comes with this version of bbm:
1. Give Room For More Privacy: As earlier stated, BBM rocks if you choose privacy and as such, you can take total control of the messages and pictures you share on the new BBM app. You can set how long contacts have access to pictures and messages shared in a chat.
2. Revoke or Retract Messages: You can now retract(revoke) messages from a chat in other to remove it from your chat and the recipient’s chat screen. Another term for this would be timed message.
You can also set a timer to how long the message should be seen by the recipient before it is automatically retracted.
However, the contact you intend retracting messages with must have an updated BBM app which supports this feature otherwise you’d be getting an error. You can choose to on or off this feature by navigating to settings » Timed Messages.
3. Quickly add stickers To Chat: Using Stickers is something I have never actually done on the bbm app. I got the smileys working for me hence I see no need for this especially when most of them are paid. If you care to know, you can now quickly add stickers to your bbm chats by simply using the picker.
4. High Quality HD Pictures: You can now send high HD pictures over BBM. A Lot of people including me sorta love BBM because it compresses picture sizes when sending over BBM. Whether or not that still stands if using the High quality HD picture functionality is something I cannot ascertain. However, there is a way to which you can turn on or off this feature. Simply navigate to settings » Always accept HD Pictures.
4. BBM Bulletins Introduced: With the BBM bulletin in handy, you have access to the latest BBM products and services.
Those are the basic new features I can see so far. Following the reviews on the app after the release, a lot of people seem very happy with the latest version. I really do not know if that is same with android users because i am quite aware of the troubles android users have with bbm especially when running on a not so stable network. Although there’s an option to use wallpaper when you navigate to settings but I don’t seem to have that working for me instead it redirects to stickers which end up showing ‘unavailable’.
How To Update BBM To Latest Version:
Using Blackberry 10 as the case study, launch your Blackberry World application and swipe from the edge of the left screen to the right to display some options. Tap on ‘My World‘ and Tap on ‘My Apps & Games‘. Tap on BBM and choose to update. Wait till the download and installation is complete and the open button is shown and you are good to go.
What’s your take on the update version of BBM?